greencentaur

Personally, I chose green to symbolize the nature of journalism:fresh and new, journalists can be compare to centaurs:tame but wild;eager but preserve. greencentaur is a professional blog for journalism-inclined people. This blog aims to inspire, guide, and give new insights, stories from the bloggers. It also invites practitioners to use this blog to share their experiences in the world of journalism. Greencentaur just creates a new path for all who wants to join the journalism world.

Monday, July 24, 2006

My First Ever Frustration As An Intern...

Last week, I accidentally attended the pressconference of Baguio City Mayor Braulio Yaranon. I was supposed to interview the Mayor regarding the landslide issues, but his secretary asked me to just join the pressconference that day. I went outside the office were there many people waiting for the Mayor. Ever since, I did not have the interest to attend pressconferences, but that day when I realized that those people outside came from different media agencies, I became interested to it. When the Mayor arrived, all of us hurriedly followed him inside the City Hall. It was my first time to attend a presscon!Since I brought my recorder, I started to record all the mayor had said. The presscon was about his clarification regarding the suspension issue in the Mayor's office. In that issue, Baguio City Vice-Mayor Reinaldo Bautista was also involved because according to the Mayor, V-Mayor Bautista was already implementing the decision of the president even if he had no authority. After I recorded the important things that the Mayor said, I hurriedly went to the Vice-Mayor's office to get his side of tthat issue. Unfortunately, he wasn't ther. I went to the DILG's office to verify if they really did not issue an implementation order of the suspension of the Mayor. I only interviewd DILG City Director Jose Rapanut through telephone.
I still couldn't finish the story because I still did not have the side of the Vice-Mayor. After my class, I returned to the V-Mayor's office. His secretary said the V-Mayor had a presscon regarding that issue. I realized the presscon was when I had my class already. I still tried to finish my story, but as I went on, I realized that there were many questions arising. There were also information I gathered, which I did not have the time to verify. I had doubts to give the story to my editor in Philippine Daily Inquirer and I already did not meet the deadline so I decided to just keep the story in my bag.
On my way home, I thought of the whole day without having my breakfast and lunch for nothing. I just regret my time spent in trying to complete that story. I ended up with nothing.
Somehow, it was a lesson to me. I should know how to race with the deadline and with other reporters in making news.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home